TuneList - Make your site Live

Saturday, October 18, 2008

To sleep or not to sleep?

Having a baby changes everything. I know that already that is why I think I got insomniac. I am not blaming it on motherhood but I guess it is one side effect to me. I thought it would be better not to sleep at all to get through the mad hours of my baby's sleeping pattern. It is not that it became a hobby of mine not to sleep but it would be more of an advantage to me if I stay awake through those untimely hours. While the people at our house are probably heading off to wonderland, here I am writing a blog.

Anyway, it's ironic that I have to write this down because I am charged guilty of practicing a bad habit. It's not that I have no choice but I'd probably lessen the pressure on us. I guess I would just like to share why people should not be like me. I read an article that says top ten things of why you should sleep:

- According to a 2006 Institute of Medicine report, people who get fewer sleeping hours may lead to obesity. By having fewer zzzz’s the “Leptin”, which suppresses appetite, is lowered; “Ghrelin”, which stimulates appetite, gets a boost.

- Another study which was published in the Archives of Internal Medicine in 2005 found out that fewer hours of sleep each night were 2.5 times more likely to be diabetic, while those with six hours or fewer were 1.7 times more likely.
In 2003 study found that women who slept for fewer hours per night are more likely to have heart attacks.

- Blood pressure may increase which is contrary to many beliefs that blood pressure drops.

- Depression. Research reveals that it is one side effect of getting not enough sleep.

With all of this, I rest my case.

No comments: